Friday, August 3, 2007

Stressed out at work? Abattoir workers..?!

read with interest in Today's paper that the most stressful jobs in the world are that of chefs, teachers, abattoir workers ..?!

I can certainly understand the stress that chefs and teachers go through...but abattoir workers?
What stress do they face in their daily routine?

It beats me becos' I was not in this trade and I can imagine that part of the stress will come from the threat of diseases from the pigs, cows, chickens... Speaking of pigs, I can't help but recall what I have encountered in the big Apple.

Back then, I was in this place in Salinas....a laidback farmland area in the American state of California. Our strawberries probably came from there....you know, the Dole brand of strawberries.

In Salinas, there was a farmland exhibition of sorts that showcased farm animals such as cows, pigs, chickens etc. There was an auction going on...the typical American type and you wouldn't believe how fast that they go on with the sales pitching.

The visit to Salinas changed my perception of pigs. I mean I do eat pork but I can't stand the sight of them wallowing in mud and to think of the smell! When I was a lot younger, I stayed in one my classmate's place....her family ran a pig farm. It was one of the most enduring stays that I ever had to make. Given the condition of the place, I was often awoken to the whiff of stench coming from the pig sty....

Anyway, here are some pics that I took of the pigs that I saw in Salinas. You wouldn't believe it and you wouldn't thought that kids would come that close to these animals...as if they were pets. The pigs had names...as if they had a personality and character of their own.
The pigs had to look their best as there was an ongoing competition. We didn't stay long enough to find out who was the winner!
Oink!








No comments: